Tigress Techniques

Tigress Techniques
Shop My Esty Store for My Creations!

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Craft Shows, Street Fairs, School Fairs.. Our expectations as Vendors & Crafters,
and are they worth participating in?

Maybe it's my age, or just the sign of the times. I remember years ago when I started to make crafts, and was eager to sell them and get my work shown to the masses. I would look in my local Sunday paper and sign up for the advertised craft or school shows & fairs. The customary set up was you paid anywhere from $20- up for 1 table, a slight discount if you got two, 1-2 chairs, free advertising of your business if it was in a school or church in their bullentins, you had about an hour or to an hour and half set up time, ample parking, and the event started about 9am till the latest 5pm. 
Today in 2014 most of those old customs are in place still, but boy oh boy have things changed. 
I find now the cost is $35 and over for one table, sometimes it's not even a big one, so bring your own if permitted. I did one show at a school where each participant had to donate an item from their table to be raffled off for the school so they could make a profit from it. I was at least a little bit pleased that the person hosting the event, didn't allow more than one of the same type vendor. For if you do fairs etc.. that is always a big drawback. There's nothing worse than doing an affair, and walk in see 4-5 other vendors selling what your are selling. This is always a sour note for me on fairs. I say, have many different vendors with a vast amount of different items and goods. How many tables can you buy avon, mary kay, baked cookies, toys, hair clips etc from. 
I've come to the conclusion the people hosting these events don't really care about the crafter, they just want to make and raise money for their interest and goals. How many times have you left an event hours early because it was dead, and you spent more getting the table, traveling there and making the products than you got back in sales. Well that's if you even had a sale, yes you can pay up to $70 for tables, and leave with no sales, maybe the most you accomplished was giving out a few business cards. 
I want those who host these events to spend more time in planning, advertising, selecting better and high volume or traveled areas to hold these events at, and keeping the crafter or vendor in mind that we too need to make a profit at the end of the day. Other wise our money spent on tables, carfare etc.. is more like a donation to their cause.  
No one should have to leave a show early due to a poor turn out, or have many people show but they just ooh and ahh at your merchandise, but never buy. So customers, viewers out there it's nice that you enjoy what we make, but when we do these shows it is in the hopes to make a sale, not to exhibit our work. If you go to fairs, flea markets etc.. come prepared, bring money, your credit/debit card, and be there because you plan on buying and not just to window shop. As always I welcome my fellow crafters opinions and thoughts on my blog for the day. I also in closing offer you to post or email me anytime you have a fair or show within the 50 states, send me a flyer and I'll post here or on my twitter and you tube channel.   
If you offer advertising space let me know also, I would love to advertise with you and also pass that info along too. Ok crafters, craft on and may your next fair you participate in be a profitable and successful one for you.  Cheenah..
                                                                                                                                       



Today's Creative Chat:   In your darkest hour, that's when your
light shines the greatest... Have Faith..  

No comments:

Post a Comment